Tuesday, February 17, 2009

It Snew

The weather was bad, but I went anyway! This blog is working already. Although, I didn't run a lot today. My OB was all for me running, in fact he strongly encouraged me, but I still feel like taking it super easy for a few weeks by doing a walk/run. Which brings me to my first tip for non-runners:

Tip 1: Be okay with walking

Jenn, my sister, is the person who first inspired me to run. She said she liked running and was training for a marathon, and I thought she was crazy. But it was too late; as soon as she said those few words, it was on. This is because I have a very competitive streak that I'm pretty good at ignoring unless I'm playing board games or, in this case, a sibling unconsciously challenges me.

We made up a running schedule, and of course, I couldn't keep up with it. Going from 0-26 miles is a little hard, believe it or not. I lost interest, and didn't run unless I was super bored or something.

Then, last summer, I discovered that the pressure and expectations I was holding myself to were not working for me. So, I lowered them. I told myself, as long as you get outside and are moving, you're good. You can run if you'd like, but no pressure. Just move. And that worked for me, I started wanting to run.

Furthermore, if you like walking better, ladies, it's actually better for your knees and other joints. Take advantage of that. However, if you're a guy, you should feel guilty. Only kidding.

No comments: