Thursday, August 14, 2008

Something Neat

So, one of my big goal-things that I want to accomplish in this life is to learn seven languages. I don't know why seven. Seems like a nice number. Since I'm pretty, pretty far away from that goal (I am fluent in one language) and I'm almost done with school (one more year), I thought I'd take advantage of my current resources and do my utmost for the time being.

So, I decided to read el Libro de Mormon en Espanol. I took about two and a half years in high school, so I know the basics. I'm just trying to expand my vocab and enlighten myself spiritually at the same time: multitasking! It's a groovy idea because I just open two tabs on the Internet and switch back between the two: English and Spanish. I just hope scriptural Spanish is not so very different than regular Spanish ... oh well.

Anyway, it's totally fun and interesting. There are several ways to say "And it came to pass" in Spanish. Neat. It's coming a lot easier than I thought, too. Once I'm done, maybe I'll do Italian, or French, or German. They don't have Russian yet, which is lame-sauce because I took a semester of Russian. That would've been the bomb dot com. With all of those, that's only five. But I'd say that's an ambitious start, and now that I've told everyone, I have to do it. Woot.

2 comments:

Elke said...

Rachel (Holmes) Blanchard and her hubbie taught themselves sign language the exact same way. Maybe that could be one of your 7.

Kris said...

What a clever idea. My sister has always wanted to learn Spanish, so she's been learning by doing exactly the same thing!