Saturday, March 29, 2008

Gardening

Now that the cold weather is on its way out, I decided to plant my own garden. I am a bit more than excited about it. I've tried growing flowers a couple times, but they have either 1) been mistaken for weeds by family members, 2) been covered by a wheelbarrow full of dirt, or 3) just not grown because of the wrong time, wrong season, or wrong state. Who really knows? So, I cleared a huge 2.5 x 6 ft. area from weeds (and I think some chives from the previous gardeners). As you can see, our neighbor's cat, John Wayne, was feeling lonely. He kept me company the entire time. I weeded around him, but like the heroic dude that his namesake is, John Wayne would wake up from his nap and move over to another part of the lot. There was a lovely, unused lawn not more than a couple feet away with an equal amount of sunlight, but I guess I had to learn how to share.
I kept waiting for him to get up and help, but he was having too much fun watching me dig. I'll keep you updated on the progress, that is if they actually germinate. That will be a miracle in itself. I am planting basil, oregano, cilantro, chives, spinach, and broccoli, and, according to my research, they are the most easily grown herbs and vegetables, so I guess we'll see. Cross your fingers.

2 comments:

Kris said...

I like to think you posted these pictures just for me because you knew I would love that cat! Good luck with the garden!

David & Eliza said...

Robin, I can relate- I'm horticulturally challenged. This year I'm just doing herbs, from plants (not seeds) and hoping for a miracle. I hope your garden grows! (Ask Nels if he wants to plant corn : )